¥ Terminus Est Search Engine ¥

Blood Vow

Happiness is success... (Buddha)

Thursday, April 08, 2010

1st Game with new Blood Angels • Alpha Striking hte Guard

So I had the chance to get in a game this afternoon with a friend while I am out of town on travel. He is quite the treadhead so when I told him a little about my army concept for the new codex he said he was intrigued and was able to provide the models I needed to proxy.

Here is his list to the best of my recollection (note I don't play IG so I can only provide an abbreviated list):

Primaris Psyker
El Rahhimn

Psyker Battle Squad - chimerooh

Veteran squad/3x plasmagun - chimerooh
Veteran squad/3x meltagun - chimerooh
Platoon/mortar - chimerooh
Platoon - chimerooh

Leman Russ Demolisher
Leman Russ Demolisher
Leman Russ Executioner

Vendetta
Vendetta


Here is my list:

Astorath
Honor Guard/jump packs, 2x meltagun, power sword, power fist

Sanguinary Priest/jump pack, infernus pistol, lightning claw
Sanguinary Guard/Chapter Banner, 2x infernus pistol, power fist
Furioso Librarian/extra armor, heavy flamer

10x assault Marine/jump packs, 2x meltagun, infernus pistol, power fist
10x assault Marine/jump packs, 2x meltagun, infernus pistol, power fist

Storm Raven/extra armor, twin linked lascannon, twin linked multi-melta
Storm Raven/extra armor, twin linked lascannon, twin linked multi-melta
Dreadnaught/extra armor, heavy flamer, multi-melta

Here is how I bundled my army:

1st Storm Raven + Astorath + Honor Guard + dreadnaught
2nd Storm Raven + Sanguinary Priest + Sanguinary Guard + Furioso Librarian
1st Assault squad (Alpha Sword)
2nd Assault squad (Beta Sword)

So very small & elite hard hitting mobile strike force.

The mission was kill points with Pitched Battle for deployment. I won the roll to choose turns opting for 1st turn. My deployment was both Storm Ravens in my deployment zone with Alpha & Beta Swords held in reserve. My opponent deployed with his two Vendettas over in corner of his deployment zone beside the Executioner, two Demolishers in the middle with one Veteran squad in chimerooh on either side, Battle Psykers in chimerooh just off to my right of his Demolishers and El Rahmin & two mounted platoons held in reserve. The terrain was fairly sparse with no real area terrain except for one ruined building where my friend had deployed his Executioner and his two Vendettas.

I rolled for the Red Thirst and both of my assault squads fell to it's deadly embrace. My friend then tried to steal the initiative and failed.

1st Turn/BA
My two Storm Ravens both advance at cruising speed towards the Vendettas maintaining safe range from the Demolishers. The first Storm Raven fires all four Bloodstrike missiles into the first Vendetta and destroys it. The first Storm Raven next fires it's twin linked lascannon stunning the Executioner. The second Storm Raven fires all four Bloodstrike missiles into the second Vendetta and destroys it as well. The second Storm Raven then fires it's twin linked lascannon into the Executioner as well and immobilizes it. I have successfully eliminated the major threat to my airforce.

1st Turn/IG
My opponent moves his Demolishers such that they are shielded in the front by the two Veteran squads' chimeroohs. The Battle Psykers roll for their pieplate but my Furioso Librarian negates it. That's it for the first turn.

2nd Turn/BA
Both assault squads arrive via deep strike landing on either outer sides of the Demolishers. Alpha Sword scatters a bit towards it's target Demolisher while Beta Sword rolls a hit. My Storm Ravens both move flatout dropping off the squadrons & dreadnaughts. Alpha Sword then fires it's meltas into the side of one Demolisher destroying it. Beta Sword fires into the side of the other Demolisher and wrecks it. The Honor Guard target one Veteran squad chimerooh shooting at side armor and destroy; the Vets are forced to bail out of the burning wreck, half die in the explosion then the dreadnaught finishes them with it's heavy flamer. The Sanguinary Guard pop the other Veteran squad chimerooh killing four guardsmen in the ensuing explosion and they pass their morale check (Primaris Pysker in this squad by the way). The Furioso dreadnaught fires his Blood Lance into the side of the PSB chimerooh, beating the Primaris Psyker's hood test, and wrecks it. The Psykers bail out behind the burning wreckage.

2nd Turn/IG
El Rahmin & his crew fail to show. The PSB squad moves put from behind their wrecked chimerooh drawing a bead on the priest & the Sanguinary Guard. The remainder of the surviving Veteran squad move into position to rapid fire their plasma into Astrorath & his Honor Guard. The Executioner is able to target Alpha Sword with one plasma cannon sponson. The Librarian Furioso is able again to negate the PSB. The Veteran squad fire into Astorath & the Honor Guard taking one wound on Astorath & killing the two Honor Guard with meltaguns. The Executioner's plasma blast scatters off of Alpha Sword and that's it for the guard. My friend accesses his situation and concedes the game then we go out for a bite to eat and a few beers.

It was my first time out with the new army so I could have possibly made a few mistakes with the rules but I think the results of the game speak for themselves.

G

8 comments:

Danny Internets said...

Fast vehicles moving at cruising speed can only fire 1 weapon, not all 4 bloodstrike missiles. Did you mean combat speed (up to 6")?

Terminus Est said...

We decided to treat them like Tau Seeker missiles.

G

Danny Internets said...

So you decided to use a house rule that goes completely against how the BA codex is written and which gives the BA army a MASSIVE advantage and then use the resulting battle report as evidence of them being good? This method doesn't strike you as flawed?

I agree that the BA codex is strong, but this house rule had a tremendous impact on the game and pretty much negates the importance of the results.

Terminus Est said...

Calm down. Everyone I have spoken with agrees this is the right way to play it and I even consulted Gwar, who is rarely ever wrong when it comes to the rules.

G

Terminus Est said...

Okay turns out I should have moved the Ravens at combat speed. Doesn't really change the outcome as I didn't need the cruising speed for the initial barrage.

G

FoxPhoenix135 said...

Eh, it takes a few games to get the hang of a new codex. Nobody expects you to play perfectly your first game with them, unless you're gwar...

Great report writeup, BTW. I may have to try and scratchbuild myself a few stormravens and give them a go.

Terminus Est said...

I am thinking of using a Forgeworld eldar flyer for the Stormraven (£65)... the price is right for me and it looks fairly easy to convert.

: )

G

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.