¥ Terminus Est Search Engine ¥

Blood Vow

Happiness is success... (Buddha)

Thursday, December 22, 2011

WarGamesCon 2012 • June 21—24 • Austin, Texas











Tonight I'd like to talk a bit about a fantastic 40k GT that also includes lots of other popular gaming systems - WarGamesCon - hosted by my good friends, the fine fellows over at the Bell of Lost Souls—Jwolf, BigRed, Goatboy and Darkwynn to name some of the BoLS crew. They run a tight ship, are very well organized and have created an excellent tournament system that's been well proven over three years now. I have attended the past two years and have to say it is by far the best event I've ever experienced in most every way.

The 40k GT is designed for competitive play and has always produced one player who has the best record at the end of the tournament. You play lots of games over the course of the weekend and have the opportunity to spend some quality time with a host of great people. If 40k is your big thing then make sure to bring a friend along as there is always a team tournament on the Friday evening to kick things off.

I am very happy to say that with only one notable exception I have thoroughly enjoyed every game. The missions and overall scoring system are well designed. No army composition as well is something I look for when deciding where to travel. You see lots of beautiful armies and play some very exciting games. The overall cost to attend is easily affordable—there are lots of cheap flights in and out of Austin and the hotel where they host the event is economically priced. I fly direct on Southwest - total time in the air is around two hours from Tampa.

The BoLS crew is looking to expand the event so if you're seriously looking for a fantastic event to attend next year then look no further than Austin. Believe me when I say you'll be glad you did. I noticed there was a considerably larger number of tables this year and I'm sure there will even more next year.

Currently I'm planning to bring my Tyranid army for 2012. Based upon my past experiences at WarGamesCon I feel comfortable bringing an army that is considered by many to be less than competitive. There's always a wide array of different armies so you don't really have to worry much about facing off against GK, IG and SW each and every game which is really nice. This past year I brought my Draigowing and faced the following armies -

• 2x Dark Eldar (one was a skimmer armada while the other was a Webway Portal variant)
• Blood Angels
• 2x Orks (one fully mech with Ghaz and the other was infantry horde)
• Tyranidz
• Grey Knights

So no IG or SW this year for me.

The previous year I brought my Blood Angels and faced the following armies:

• 3x Blood Angels (DoA, landraider armada and a mixed list)
• Imperial Fists
• Eldar
• Imperial Guard
• Space Wolves

So as you can see the variance has grown by leaps and bounds. : )

If you're thinking about attending then check it out ! There is a link to the WarGamesCon site up in the top right hand corner of my blog. Go ahead, click on the picture of their logo and take a peek !

No comments: