¥ Terminus Est Search Engine ¥

Blood Vow

Happiness is success... (Buddha)

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Ultramarines vs. Space Wolves (2000 pts) Batrep


I had my second league game last night and made a few tweaks to my army list:

Switched out Primaris Ancient for a Primaris Apothecary
Switched out Primaris Librarian for Tigurius

Guilliman is still the go to unit for Space Marines in general but Marneus Calgar is a Chapter Master and quite good in melee as well so I chose him instead to shore up some points for Aggressors. It’s fun to go against the meta a bit and see what you can do. I decided to take Tiggy because of his power to make a unit -1 to hit, casting Might of Heroes for +1T combined with -1 to hit makes a Redemptor or Repulsor very hard to destroy.

Here’s the new army list:

Bound +3CP

1st Detachment: Battalion +3CP
(Imperium - Space Marines) [106 PL, 1909pts]

+ No Force Org Slot +

Chapter Selection: Ultramarines

+ HQ +

Chief Librarian Tigurius [7 PL, 130pts]
Psychic Powers:
Smite, Might of Heroes, Null Zone, Veil of Time

Marneus Calgar [12 PL, 235pts]:
Artificer Armour
+2CP

Primaris Chaplain [6 PL, 85pts]

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]:
Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt Rifles
4x Intercessor
Intercessor Sergeant - Power Sword

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]:
Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt Rifle
4x Intercessor
Intercessor Sergeant - Power Sword

Scout Squad [10 PL, 111pts]:
5x Camo Cloak
Scout Sergeant - Bolt pistol, Sniper Rifle
Scout - Heavy Bolter
4x Scout - 4x Sniper Rifle

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [6 PL, 129pts]:
2x Aggressor
Aggressor Sergeant
Flamestorm Gauntlets

Primaris Apothecary [4 PL, 68pts]

Redemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 201pts]:
2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers
Icarus Rocket Pod
Macro Plasma Incinerator
Onslaught Gatling Cannon

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [16 PL, 205pts]:
Plasma incinerator
5x Hellblaster - Plasma Incinerator
Hellblaster Sergeant - Plasma Incinerator

Predator [9 PL, 189pts]:
Predator Autocannon - 2x Lascannon

+ Dedicated Transport +

Repulsor [16 PL, 346pts]:
Ironhail Heavy Stubber
4x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers
Icarus Rocket Pod
2x Krakstrom Grenade Launcher
Lastalon
Onslaught Gatling Cannon
2x Lascannon

Auxiliary Support Detachment -1CP
(Imperium - Officio Assassinorum) [5 PL, 90pts]

+ Elites +

Vindicare Assassin [5 PL, 90pts]

++ Total: [111 PL, 1999pts] ++

7CP total

I don’t have my opponent’s army list so going by memory he had Bjorn the Fellhanded as his Warlord, a Wolf Lord on a Thunderwolf mount with a Frost Axe and stormshield, Iron Priest on Thunderwolf mount, Venerable Dreadnaught with Frost weapon and stormshield, five razorbacks with assault cannons, several six man squads of Grey Hunters riding in the transports and a Stormwolf flyer.

We played mission 6 from the ITC Champions Mission Pack, What’s Yours is Mine. Here is a link to the mission pack:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ltQMdeDqYRXOhvdYT3dtUSji3AISvZRM8gDlhOXDaF8/mobilebasic

These are some excellent missions, were used at the recent SoCal Open here in San Diego and are designed specifically for eighth edition. I highly recommend you check them out !

There are two objectives...

Each Player places 1 Take and Hold Objective wholly within their deployment zone, 9” from a table edge. Take and Hold Objectives are controlled by having the most units within 9” of the objective. Note that Objective Secured units gain no benefit in holding Take and Hold Objectives.

What’s Yours Is Mine Bonus Point - If a player controls both Take and Hold objectives at the end of their player turn, he/she gains 1 point.

This is a mission that can turn into a major slugfest over the course of the game going for those two objective markers!

Deployment was table quarters and I got to go first. Note I deployed mostly in a castle around my objective with the scouts and Vindicare far back from the puppies up on a high piece of cover. My opponent chose to spread out his forces.

Here were the secondaries I selected:

Big Game Hunter
King Slayer (Bjorn)
Headhunter

Here is a turn by turn breakdown of the game with some commentary:

Turn 1
Ultramarines
Destroy Enemy Unit - Razorback, Grey Hunter Pack
1 Primary
(3)

SW
Destroy Enemy Unit - Scouts
Secondary - Recon
(2)

Turn 2
Ultramarines
(0)

My opponent’s Venerable dreadnaught was quickly closing the gap and would be able to probably assault either my Redemptor or Repulsor this turn if I didn’t bring it down so I opted to pour all of my firepower into the metallic behemoth. My lascannons all bounced so I had to chip away with everything else and managed to bring it down to just two wounds remaining. Dreadnaughts are not typically bracketed by wound reduction so there is was staring my gunline in the face.

SW
Secondary - Recon
(1)

Wow I got really lucky after the piss poor shooting phase. My opponent rushed up with two razorbacks to charge my Repulsor along with his dreadnaught. Overwatch on the first transport managed to strip some wounds and it failed the charge. Overwatch on the second transport stripped some more wounds and it also failed the charge. I then overwatched the dreadnaught and only managed to strip one wound... Jebus. Luckily it also failed the charge as well by a single inch. Tiggy then it popped it next turn with a juicy Smite in the face. My opponent’s 3++ saves had been just incredible... I was very fortunate to keep my big grav tank intact. Those fragstorm grenade launchers are so deadly !

Turn 3
Ultramarines
Destroy Enemy Unit - Dread, Flyer & RZB (3 secondary)
(5)

This turn the Primaris Apothecary, Aggressors and Primaris Chaplain launched an assault on the Wolf Lord (disembarking from the Repulsor) but couldn’t get through his stormshield... however they did later take him down but he killed my Primaris Apothecary and an Aggressor in return.

SW
Destroy Enemy Unit (Apothecary, Assassin, Redemptor)
Secondary - Headhunter (Apothecary, Assassin)
(4)

Turn 4
Ultramarines
Destroy Enemy Unit - Grey Hunter Pack, WOf Lord, Razorback
Headhunter (WL, RZB)
(4)

SW
Destroy Enemy Unit - Intercessors
(1)

Turn 5
Ultramarines
Destroy Enemy Unit - Grey Hunter Pack, Iron Priest, Razorback, Bjorn (+1)
Headhunter (Iron Priest)
Big Game Hunter (Razorback)
King Slayer (3)
Take and Hold Main Primary (1)
+1
(6)

That ended the game since I had tabled my opponent. The final score was 18-7. My firepower faltered during the second turn, then I got lucky with the failed charge from the Venerable dreadnaught... I’m sure it would have destroyed my Repulsor in melee. As the game progressed the Chaplain and remaining Aggressors were able to reach my opponent’s objective and finally secure by the final turn. Melee is still my favorite phase but long range firepower is still the king of the game.

No comments: