¥ Terminus Est Search Engine ¥

Blood Vow

Happiness is success... (Buddha)

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

DraigoStar vs. Eldar Jetseer Council • TempleCon Round 4 • Part 1


I have decided to present mine out of sequence. We all know I didn't win the event so it's not a big deal in my opinion. The first report will cover my first game from the second day which was the fourth game out of five overall. The second day can make or break you at a big event and this game was versus Jetseer council featuring a Cullexus assassin and bastion with an escape hatch. I had not played against the new Cullexus assassin but did a lot of research since it's literally the bane of any psychic Deathstar.

Deployment was Dawn of War so the Cullexus had a potentially huge foot print to shutdown DraigoStar. I knew that my initial deployment was key which I'll cover in more detail later.

TempleCon used the new ETC mission which means you want to accumulate as many battlepoints as possible every round. The first primary goal was The Relic from the Eternal War missions and is typically fairly easy for DraigoStar to achieve but versus a Jetseer Council (JSC) it's by no means a given. That said I knew I needed to fend off any eldar infantry unit from grabbing it and making a quick dash into the bastion. The head judge made the ruling you couldn't use the escape hatch to move the relic into the bastion as some players were hoping they could do with the escape hatch located 12" away. I think this was the right call.

My army is not great at scoring Maelström points which was another primary objective. The ETC modified Maelström deck is really good for a competitive tournament. This round it was the Maelström Spoils of War.

The other primary goal was Purge the Alien (kill points) which is easy for DraigoStar to achieve no if, ands or buts. :D

Taking a page from the 2014 BAO my overall strategy was to focus on the Eternal War and the secondary objectives - First Blood, Slay the Warlord and Line Breaker. First Blood is typically very easy for DraigoStar to achieve but Iike I said above my deployment was key to defending against the Cullexus so it wasn't a sure thing this time around.


Here is my opponent's army list:

Baharroth /Warlord

Farseer Bel-Annath (Forge World)

8x Warlock - jetbikes & 3x spear

5x Dire Avenger
Wave Serpent - Ghostwalk Matrix - scatter laser

5x Dire Avenger
Wave Serpent - Ghostwalk Matrix - scatter laser

5x Dire Avenger
Wave Serpent - Ghostwalk Matrix - scatter laser

5x Fire Dragon
Wave Serpent - Ghostwalk Matrix - scatter laser

Bastion - escape hatch

Cullexus Assassin


Here is my army list again:

Draigo /Warlord

Grey Knight Librarian - stormbolter - Nemesis daemonhammer - Liber Daemonica

9x Grey Knight (Strike squad) - 2x psycannon
Justicar - Nemesis daemonhammer

4x Grey Knight (Strike squad) - psycannon
Justicar - Nemesis daemonhammer

Stormraven - locator beacon - twin linked assault cannon - twin linked multi-melta - Hurricane sponsons

Severin Loth

Techmarine - combi plasmagun

4x Scout - bolt pistols & combat weapons
Sergeant - bolt pistol & combat weapon
Landspeeder Storm - heavy flamer

4x Devastator Centurion - grav cannons - grav amps - chest missiles
Sergeant - twin linked lascannon - chest missile - omniscope

Here are my psychic powers:

Draigo - Banishment - Gate of Infinity - Hammerhand - Purge Soul

GK Librarian - Gate of Infinity - Prescience - Pefect Timing - Misfortune

Severian Loth - Psychic Shriek - Invisibility - Shrouding - Dominate

I didn't write down the psychic powers my opponent rolled but he did get multiple Fortune which he really wanted to protect the JSC.

I won the roll to choose my deployment zone picking the side with a line of sight blocking building in one of my table corners to hide DraigoStar from the Cullexus. I also won the roll to deploy and go first which I chose to do. Tomorrow I'll post a picture of my deployment... Basically I deployed DraigoStar in the corner behind the building with the scouts outside their transport and the five man Strike squad in front of the DeathStar and also behind the building to form a buffer. I held the ten man Strike squad embarked in the Stormraven held in reserve.


My opponent deployed his entire army spread across his table edge with the bastion in the middle with the escape hatch right beside the relic. He chose to infiltrate the Cullexus as close to my deathstar as possible in a big ruin right up against my building.


You can't even see that nasty bugger it was so well hidden !!! Aaaaargh !!!

Note I chose to place my Landspeeder outside the building to push back the Cullexus. The thought here was I was going first so unless my opponent seized on me I could move it back behind the building before the wave serpents could shoot it for First Blood. Even if he did seize I felt it was worth the risk to keep the Cullexus far enough away so I could cast psychic powers the first turn.

Of course my opponent did seize the initiative using one of those scatter dice from NOVA - personally I don't like them as the 1 and 6 pips both have the scatter symbol on them which can lead to confusion.

No comments: