¥ Terminus Est Search Engine ¥

Blood Vow

Happiness is success... (Buddha)

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

White Scars RTT Report • Final Round 3 vs. Tau


The final round is versus Tau. Funnily enough the last rtt I attended we rode together and probably would have faced off in the final round for a shot at the pole position but he had to leave early. Here is his list:

Ethereal (Warlord)

Fire Warriors
Devilfish - Disruption Pod

Fire Warriors
Devilfish - Disruption Pod

Kroot (large squad)

Pathfinders

Riptide - Ion Accelerator

3x Broadside - HYMD & SMS

3x Broadside - HYMD & SMS


This mission the deployment was Vanguard Strike (VS) which is really good for BikeStar. We randomly determined the direction of the diagonal line. VS deployment provides the means to quickly trap a slower army in one corner of the table which was one of my strategies. I also decided the ignore the Riptide and focus on the more squishy units.

There was also a big multi level ruin in the center of the table with the lower levels walled off to block line of sight (LoS). Again objective markers and overall terrain was equally placed across the table so no particular advantage besides the large ruin.

This mission you roll up six tactical objectives the first turn and so on decrementing by one objective each following turn.

I got the Warlord trait to infiltrate three squads - so awesome for BikeStar !!! My opponent got a trait that was not that good.

My psychic Lore is Biomancy - Shriek - Enfeeble - Life Leech

I won the roll to choose my deployment zone and picked the side which maximized LoS blocking via the central ruins. My opponent won the roll to deploy first and took it. He deployed everything except for the Kroot and castled in his corner just like I was expecting. Devilfish up front with Ethereal and Fire Warriors embarked - both Broadsides in an open ruin behind them - Riptide off to one side.

I hold one squad in reserve (HQ and command squad) and infiltrate the three biker squads. We then roll off to see who infiltrates first and my opponent wins the roll... He conga lines the Kroot along the diagonal line to push back my infiltrating bikers—good move in a way but will give up First Blood plus bikes can move 24" a turn so I'm not worried. I deploy my bikes beyond his maximum shooting range and out of LoS from the Riptide. Night fight is up so first turn my bikers can jink for a 2+ cover save.

I then roll to seize and up pops a six... Heh !

NOTE:
The judge declares time will not be called early—play each game out to the end.

1st Turn - White Scars
My bikes move up to focus fire on the Kroot while staying outside range of magic missiles and mostly out of LoS from the Riptide. I blast the Kroot which go to ground and my opponent passes his break check.

1st Turn - Tau
The Kroot move up to rapid fire as much as possible into one biker squad and the Riptide scoots over to target another another biker unit. One Devilfish pulls up to the big ruin and dismounts its Fire Warriors to score a victory point grabbing an objective marker inside the big central ruin. I pass all my saves from shooting attacks then the Riptide jetpacks back inside the castle formation.

2nd Turn - White Scars
The HQ and command squad comes in from reserve but from the far table edge with respect to the Tau castle. I turboboost them straight towards the big central ruin. My other three squads also converge to the center of the table, all units using the big central ruin for cover and still maintaining safe distance from magic missiles. Shooting wipes out the Kroot for First Blood so we are tied at one victory point apiece.

2nd Turn - Tau
The Fire Warriors load back up into the Devilfish and scoot away back towards the castle. Riptide drops a pie plate but it scatters off.

3rd Turn - White Scars
Time to go to work. HQ and command squad break through the big central terrain piece lining up their sights on the closest Broadside team ignoring both Devilfish. The other three biker squads all turboboost right up into the grill of the Tau castle. Librarian successfully casts Shriek on the Pathfinders... They are scorched and break—they are well done.

Command squad unloads into the Broadsides—strafe two and they break off the table.

3rd Turn - Tau
My opponent has a lot of serious target saturation... All four biker units are out in the open now just as planned. He opts to focus fire on my HQ and command squad unloading both Fire Warrior teams plus the Ethereal popping the +1 shot bubble to pump up his pulse bomb. My Chapter Master then tanks almost every wound or passes every FNP... Amazing dice for me and really bad news for the xenos ! Again the Riptide's pie plate scatters off for no damage.

I played it out so that there would be only turn of xenos shooting and my opponent took the bait targeting my most resilient unit of mine for zero sum game.

4th Turn - White Scars
I move into position for multiple multi assaults - every Tau unit is exposed and I can charge them all. Again I opt to ignore the Riptide. No shooting this turn or psychic powers and we go straight into melee. I do lose a couple bikers to Tau Overwatch. Mėlee see the following Tau units destroyed:

Ethereal
Both Fire Warrior teams
Remaining Broadside Team
One Devilfish

- Multiple Assaults -


My opponent only has left one Devilfish and the Riptide while still have all my units. My opponent then concedes the game.

I am the only player with a 3-0 record at the end of the day for first place. It was a great day of gaming. The hard work tweaking my list is starting to finally pay off now.

No comments: