¥ Terminus Est Search Engine ¥

Blood Vow

Happiness is success... (Buddha)

Thursday, July 04, 2013

Plaguewing vs. Eldar 2250 point batrep



This was my first game using what I consider to be my first true shot at fielding what I now refer to as Plaguewing. I was able to learn a lot about the new daemons at WarGamesCon this past June under the tutoring of Kenny Boucher who is a fellow member of the 40k Wrecking Crew and finished third place in the highly competitive GT at Austin, Texas.

Plaguewing features some of the best units from the Chaos Space Marine (CSM) codex and Daemons codex. I have chosen CSM as my primary detachment and Daemons as my allies. Note that I eschew the use of Typhus, cultists, Heldrakes and zombies. Plaguewing is designed to be a highly mobile army that can withstand a lot of punishment the first two to three turns then go for the win.

We played a 2250 point game using the following randomly selected test mission from BeakyCon3:

Two main objectives:
• Warp Destroyer - You earn 1 battle point for each enemy unit you destroy, note though that the enemy unit must be off the table; i.e., fleeing or broken units do not count - this restriction does not include wrecked vehicles, Reanimation Protocols, Everliving or any model that is placed down such as Saint Celestine or a Chaos Decimator. You also earn an extra battle point for each destroyed enemy unit that is Psychic Mastery Level 2 or higher.

• The Scouring - There are five objective markers. One is placed in the center of each table quarter and the fifth is placed in the center of the table. Each objective marker you control at the end of the game is worth three battle points. Fast attack units (including vehicles) count as scoring and are worth one battle point per unit if destroyed.

Deployment: Vanguard Strike

1 battle point each for First Blood, Slay the Warlord and Line Breaker.


My opponent's army list featured six squads of Warp Spiders along with two to three squads of Guardian jetbikes - that was a lot of scoring units !!! My army list included the following units:

Primary Detachment - Chaos Space Marines
Chaos Biker Lord - Mark of Nurgle, Black Mace

Sorcerer - Mark of Nurgle, Palanquin of Nurgle, Level 3 Psyker

3x 5x Death Guard - 2x Rhino & Land Raider

3x Obliterator - Mark of Nurgle

Aegis Defense Line - Quad Gun

Allied Detachment - Chaos Daemons
Daemon Prince - Mark of Nurgle, Daemonic Flight, Power Armor, Level 3 Psyker

2x 10x Plaguebearer

6x Plague Drone


I won the the roll for deployment and opted to choose the side with a bit more terrain. My opponent won the roll to choose who goes first and elected to do do. I declined the option to seize the initiative. I held in reserve both squads of Plaguebearers, Plague Drones and the two squads of Death Guard in rhinos.

The first two turns my dice were absolutely horrid. We were both playing very conservatively and trying to score First Blood. I have to say that I think First Blood is one of the worst things about sixth edition. Oh well. I tried my best to score First Blood while sticking inside my deployment zone while the Daemon Prince hugged the table edge flanking over towards my left side of the eldar castle. The first two turns passed by without either of us taking First Blood. My reserve rolls were atrocious with only one squad of Plaguebeaters and a squad of Death Guard arriving.

My opponent had three squads of Death Reapers and over the course of the first three turns they managed to wreck my land raider spilling out my gigantic Sorcerer and a squad of attached Death Guard. They linked up with the Chaos Lord who then manned the quad gun failing to inflict any damage.


The first rhino to arrive was obliterated by a squad of Warp Spiders giving up First Blood to my opponent. The Death Guard Champion managed to survive the incoming fire due to good line of sight (LOS) blocking then died to the charge from the incoming Warp Spiders while dragging down one with him.


The Plague Drones also arrived deep striking inside a building close to the heart of the eldar battle line followed up my Daemon Prince coming in hot behind them. Note I was using Blood Crushers as a proxy. Luckily my opponent failed his Spiritseer's psychic test on box cars to remove their cover save... I took more wounds from failed dangerous tests than his shooting... Heh ! Finally I got a big break with the dice !!


Fourth turn my opponent then conceded... I think he still could have made a game with it but my Daemon Prince and Plague Drones were definitely going to get in a huge multi charge versus the majority of his army that had moved into short range to blast the Plague Drones sitting in cover. Also my Chaos Lord was in easy range to charge the squad of Warp Spiders that had decimated my squad of Death Guard arriving in a rhino.

Final result - Big Win for Plaguewing !!!

No comments: