¥ Terminus Est Search Engine ¥

Blood Vow

Happiness is success... (Buddha)

Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Thing - movie review




I've always been a huge fan of both Kurt Russell and John Carpenter. To me they both left their print on the industry. The new movie The Thing released this weekend so I had to see it. It has been sold to the market as a prequel but in reality it closely follows the 1980s version by John Carpenter in terms of both storyline and CGI. Carpenter's version was a classic and that is a big pair of boots to fill so I was just happy to see a new version and I enjoyed the movie a lot. Luckily no dickheads as yet have given away the ending where the new version can leave it's mark. Maybe when I'm living in Sun City another version will be released again and based on this one I'd go see it again. If you like SciFi|Horror then I'll think you might like this movie. The original version released in the 1950s featured James Arness as the alien - he was the Marshall Matt Dillon in the old television show Gun Smoke. The movie is based upon a short story by James Campbell entitled Who Goes There. I haven't read it yet but I plan to do so soon.

What I enjoy the most about these movies is the concept of an alien that is truly alien - it is beyond our imagination and not friendly by any means. Humans are pitted against something that truly tests our mettle. So I definitely recommend this movie to anyone that enjoys graphic gore presented in the context of SciFi or Horror - it is truly both.

No comments: